The Reaves Collections, Series II consists of newspaper clippings in file folders stored in banker's boxes labelled according to topic. This database, compiled from an examination of the articles concerning the railroads of Wilmington by two classes, provides researcher with an overview of the articles in this series. The purpose behind assembling this work was to relieve researchers from the task of going through these clipping one by one to find articles, and to aid in the preservation of the fragile contents of the series.
Brittany Ankenbruck Adam Batterseamolto Dean Hamilton David Morrison Kelsey Sanders
X'avionne Allen, Nicholas Amato, Taylor Benenhaley, Ebony Boles, Armani Boswell, Jonathan Broadie, Kathleen Chapman, Rebecca Daw, Nicole Ferguson, Devin Girardot, Ryann Greene, Troy Haney, Benjamin Herring, William Klein, Samuel Lattanzi, Thomas Long, Destinee Masi, Veronica Meert, Molly Rohlfing, Thomas Smith, Sarah Thornton, Jillian Warren, Brooke Wilkinson
Section of 1881 Map of Wilmington ,NC
Courtesy of New Hanover County Public Library
Sixth Street Bridge
Photo by Rebecca Daw (October 2013)
In an article published in May 8-14, 1997 issue of Encore magazine entitled “Historic Atlantic Coastline Railroad structure not on the list for preservation” identifies the structure under the tracks as the “Coach Carpenter’s Office.” The unnamed author of this article states that his/her grandfather worked at this location “replacing floor boards, tightening bolts and fixing jammed windows,” and that the “essential remained unoccupied since 1955.”
The 1915 Sanborn Fire Insurance identified the Carpenter’s Shop merely as a storehouse under the tracks (Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Company. City of Wilmington, North Carolina, 1915. [microfilm]. Bethesda, MD: University Publications of America, 1991, p. 29). This description is not particularly useful since it so mean anything could be stored at the location. The 1918 Station Map of the Wilmington terminal prepared by the Office of Valuation Engineer for the Seaboard Air Line Railway Company identifies the same structure as a “Battery Charging Room.” This description can be associated with activities associated with the maintenance of passenger car. The Pullman Company began using batteries charged by a dynamo turned by the car wheeling in 1887 for lighting (Seaboard Air Line Railway Company, Office of Valuation Engineer, Norfolk, VA. Station Map, Seaboard Air Line Railway Co., Wilmington Terminal, Jan. 30, 1918. 1918. Wilmington, NC: Wilmington Railroad Museum Map Collection; New York Times, 31 July 1887).
Courtesy of New Hanover County Public Library, Dr. Robert Failes Collection
The Railroad District in North Wilmington grew from a large estate belonging to the Campbell Family. This is a redrawing of a Map in Book BB , Page 250 (New Hanover County Register of Deeds)
Proceedings of the Annual Meetings of the Stockholders of the Wilmington Raleigh Rail Road Company
St. Stephen's Church in Campbell Square
Photograph by Jonathan Broadie (November 2013)
Work produced by Humanities 115 evening class, Spring Semester, 2014
Timothy Anderson, Kelsey Bailey, Twone Bannerman, Stephanie Caison, Amanda Dare, James Denny, Benjamin Graebe, Joshua Gray, Patricia Hagen, Jaquell Lewis, Michael Mingo, Anita Pllana, Nathan Rhue, Jeanette Rivera, Christopher Sabatini